The family of a 29-year-old woman killed in a car crash is hoping to see the suspect thought responsible for the wreck brought to justice. Although the fatal car accident occurred in late 2011, the suspect has been living in North Carolina despite having a warrant out for his arrest. The victim's step-father says the woman's family wants authorities to take action and extradite the suspect away from North Carolina.
According to police, the fatal accident at the center of the cases occurred when the suspect collided with a telephone pole in his car. Investigators say the man was driving at speeds close to 100 miles per hour at the time of the accident, which left the man's passenger dead. The suspect was treated for injuries at a hospital.
Although the man was found to lack a valid driver's license and targeted by several criminal charges, he has so far avoided legal action by staying in North Carolina. The victim's step-father recalled speaking with authorities in North Carolina, who he says were willing to extradite the suspect. However, his repeated attempts to extradite the suspect have met resistance in his own state. "They said, we are not willing to extradite him at this time because of medical and financial reasons," explained the man. He claims that the county processor blamed the delay on police in North Carolina, but called that assertion "a lie."
Following the accident, the suspect turned himself in to police and then immediately posted bail. He was charged with reckless homicide, a Class C felony, but remains out on $20,000. There have been no plans for him to go to trial to face the charges.
The victim's sister decried officials involved in the case for allowing it to develop as it has. The deceased woman's mother explained, "I am not going to rest until [the suspect]'s prosecuted for his crime."
Source: Fox59, "Family demands answer for delay in arresting suspect in fatal accident," Heather MacWilliams, May 10, 2012