Daniel Pleasant Holoman LLP
Call Us Today
Toll Free 866-965-2403

Adult children seek compensation for medication error

The children of a man who died because of improper medication have filed a medical malpractice claim in connection with the man's 2011 demise. The siblings, a man and a woman, allege that a physician at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center wrongly medicated their father, leading to his death.

Official documents in the case name Wake Forest University Health Sciences and North Carolina Baptist Hospital. These entities were negligent in their care of the 60-year-old victim in June 2011, when the man arrived at the emergency room for treatment, allege the adult children.

Experts say the man presented at the ER with low blood pressure, kidney problems and intestinal distress. He was quickly taken to the intensive care unit to treat apparent bacterial pneumonia, low blood pressure and sepsis, or severe infection. The man's laboratory tests revealed abnormal results that indicated serious health problems. After one day, the man was stabilized and cleared for surgery to repair a perforation in his gastric system.

The anesthesiologist for the man's surgery is accused of failing to administer the correct medication as the anesthesia was being reversed. Instead of Fentanyl, the physician administered Sufentanil citrate, a narcotic that is 10 times as strong as the intended medication. This medication is not approved for use in most patients with kidney and liver problems. The man's physical systems began to shut down almost immediately after the administration of the drug. Subsequent surgeries were performed several days after the initial procedure, but it was too late to save the victim.

The siblings in this case could seek financial compensation for wrongful death in connection with the medical mistake, which was admitted by the physicians in the case. Further compensation could be obtained for pain and suffering, loss of consort, emotional distress and a variety of other claims. Further, the family could sue to require the hospital to absorb the costs of the medical bills.

If you or a family member has been injured in a hospital accident, seek the representation of a qualified personal injury attorney to help you get the money you deserve.

www.the-dispatch.com, "Siblings file medical malpractice suit over death of father" Darrick Ignasiak, Jun. 20, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Daniel Pleasant Holoman LLP

Daniel Pleasant Holoman LLP
232 Causeway Drive
Unit 1-A
Wrightsville Beach, NC 28480

Toll Free: 866-965-2403
Fax: 910-679-4363
Map & Directions