New information about the events leading up to the death of an 11-year-old boy and the serious injury of his 49-year-old mother in a North Carolina hotel reveals chilling details about the case. Official reports show that the pair suffered catastrophic personal injury after they were exposed to extraordinarily high levels of carbon monoxide in the Best Western hotel in Boone, North Carolina. Shocking reports show that two other victims had died in a nearby room in a similar fashion just weeks before; still, no one was able to put the pieces together fast enough to prevent the child's death.
Even though enforcement efforts have increased throughout North Carolina, new statistics show that seatbelt use throughout the state has actually decreased. More drivers in the state, particularly those in the younger demographics, seem to be ignoring the mounting pile of evidence that supports seatbelt use as a safety measure. Compliance with seatbelt laws in 2012 was measured at 87.5 percent, a marked decrease from the 89.5 percent rating in 2011. The refusal to wear seatbelts could ultimately result in more catastrophic injuries in traffic accidents throughout the area.